Sustainable wine growing is all about:
- Prioritising water and energy efficiency
- Creating less waste
- Supporting Local communities
- Enhancing Australian biodiversity
- Looking after the land.
To that end, Sustainable Winegrowing Australia (SWA) is a community of like minded growers and makers who want to produce exceptional wines that make a positive difference for people and the planet.
The Sustainable Winegrowing Report FY 2022 has recently been released. It outlines the results of an annual workbook kept by 807 vineyard members and 113 vineyard members of their vineyard and/or winery practices that asks them to self-rating their performance every financial year. Members are asked to report on land and soil, water, waste management, biodiversity, energy, chemicals, pest and disease, biosecurity, business and community impact.
The Report, which covers the period 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022, found that:
- There had been a 48 per cent increase in SWA membership
- 65 per cent of Australian wine drinkers prefer sustainably made wine
- 242 wine labels now have a Sustainable Winegrowing Australia certification mark
- 84 per cent of wineries have taken action on water efficiency
- 100 per cent of members are measuring and reporting on scopes 1 & 2 greenhouse gas emissions
- 74 per cent of vineyard members dedicate land to biodiversity enhancement
- 50 per cent of vineyards use best practice soil nutrient management
- 100 per cent of members are monitoring and reporting waste generation and recycling
- 84 per cent of wineries contribute to their communities in a positive way.
You can learn more here: https://sustainablewinegrowing.com.au/2022-impact-report/.
Get in Contact
Yass News to your inbox
Sign up now for the latest news from the Yass Area direct to your inbox.