A couple of weeks ago we wrote about a new type of wheat flour that has appeared on the shelves of major supermarket chains: a high protein, low calorie flour, which comes in both plain and self-raising varieties.
The following recipe uses this flour, cuts back on sugar, and adds the goodness of fresh blueberries to give you a satisfying muffin that can easily be incorporated into many diets.
• 2 cups high protein, low calorie self-raising flour
• ½ cup caster sugar
• 125gms butter or butter substitute
• Grated rind of 1 lemon
• 1 egg
• 1 cup cow’s milk or milk substitute
• 2 tsp vanilla
• 1 punnet of fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC and grease muffin times (we used canola spray).
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour and sugar together.
3. Rub the butter into the flour and sugar.
4. Gently stir the grated lemon rind and blueberries into the mix.
5. In a small bowl, beat the milk, egg, and vanilla together until well-combined.
6. Add the milk mixture to the ingredients in the large bowl and gently stir through until the flour mixture is wet.
7. Using a tablespoon, evenly dollop the mixture into the muffin tins.
8. Bake muffins for 20 mins.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Yass area direct to your inbox.