Expect plenty of fun and surprises at the new look National Cherry Festival in Young this year with a Very Cherry Street Party, light installations, roving entertainers, busking, a pop-up art exhibition, and augmented reality activities to create a distinctive new vibe over the weekend of 3rd to the 5th December 2021.
Cherry harvest celebrations in the Hilltops region have switched from the traditional National Cherry Festival activities to a slimmed down version, called “Cherry Festival Lite”, which promises fresh new spectacles and activities to delight all.
“The move away from the traditional National Cherry Festival format was necessitated by COVID-19 restrictions that ruled out most time -honoured events of the past,” said President of the National Cherry Festival Committee Mrs Caitlin Sheehan.
“This has made way for a fresh new approach this year, with a more community-based event dictated by necessity. However, when health orders change the committee expects a return to a more traditional, expansive festival in future years,” she said.
Cherry Festival Lite offers a smorgasbord of attractions including:
• A Very Cherry Street Party with late night shopping from 5pm to 9pm on Friday night and a Very Cherry Street Party from 9am to 12noon on Saturday.
• Light installations illuminating some beautiful Boorowa Street buildings in a myriad of colours, patterns and designs, from sunset to 10pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
• Street entertainers introducing unique experiences for Young, with surprise elements delivered by Hilltops Regional Theatre Company.
• Circus Performers, acrobats and street buskers.
• A business and residential Christmas light display and competition, with big prizes to be won and customers invited to vote for their favourites.
• Young & Region Farmers Markets 9am to 1pm, Saturday December 4 and Sunday December 5 at Anderson Park.
• Cherry King/Queen competition Coronation Dinner on Saturday December 4, where 2021 title holders will be announced. Bookings for this event can be made at the Young Services Club.
• Augmented reality colouring in activity with a chance to bring to life, via app, to your own colouring in character as it transforms into a quirky video.
• Saturday Pop up art exhibition on the railway platform presented by the Young Society of Artists which will be accompanied by musical entertainment from local performer, Judy Barker.
• Giant Fun Fair, Carnival rides at the Showground, a stand-alone event featuring Saturday night fireworks.
• Millard Centre Christmas Market with market stalls laden with festival gift suggestions. There will also be some quilts on display.
• Cherry Festival Lite Concert at Young Library, Lynch Street featuring Katelyn from 12.30pm, bookings required as numbers are limited. Phone 6384 2440.
The full program is available at: https://www.visithilltopsregion.com.au/cherry-festival-lite-program/
Sign up now for the latest news from the Yass area direct to your inbox.